[pdftex] Announcing: XPSTeX

Matteo Centonza matteo at metatype.it
Sun Apr 1 17:50:19 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 15:51 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
> Over the past months Thanh and I have been in secret negotiations with
> Microsoft, which have now come to an agreement that allow me to
> announce the start of a new project:
>
>                            XPSTeX
>
> XPSTeX will be a TeX-compatible program producing XPS-files out of
> TeX. DVI-output may be possible in future releases. PDF is not
> planned.
>
> The initial implementation will be done in C# for .NET; future
> versions will be integrated with Microsoft Office as a backend for
> Word (for this, we have support by Leslie Lamport through Microsoft
> Research).

i really don't see the point in using C# over the stable and obiquitous
visual basic. With few modifications i'll be able to run a shiny new
XPSTeX on my legacy C128, so i'm definitely interested in taking care of
the port....

> For scripting (like in luaTeX) we will use VBScript, but the .NET
> integration will give users access to such wonderfull languages as
> COBOL, FORTRAN, Haskell, Lisp, and Smalltalk -- all in one document.
> And to make Hans happy, Ruby is also available.

you've surely forgot logtalk, to make my granny happy too... ;)

Cheers,

-m