[pdftex] Various Replies to (Strategies to embed existing pdf documents into tex source...)

W. Craig Carter ccarter at mit.edu
Mon Sep 4 17:22:44 CEST 2006

Thanks all for the response, I've learned
quite a bit just by looking through the
various docs.

> From: Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
>     texdoc pdfpages

This is probably the solution I will implement as it seems the most
straightforward and time presses.
> ------------------------------
> Victor Ivrii, Department of Mathematics, University of Toronto
> AFAIK the absence of scrollbar in the internal window is a limitation
> of PDF, not of any package.

Here I was thinking of a broader implementation of hyperref's form
elements. This is the road to javascript which comes up later.

> Another approach I can think about is to convert foo.pdf file into
> foo.mov and insert it using movie15 (the result will be insane
> monstrosity).

Clever! But, I agree with what I think you are saying, it is overkill.
> ------------------------------
> From: Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
> Maybe scrollbars are not supported, but something similar:
>
> Go to http://www.amrita-ebook.org/doc and download the file
> TOA-drink-me.pdf (6.87 MBytes).  It's amazing to see what PDF

This is an amazing document and the view showing the source code 50
lines at a time is exactly what I want.  I think the learning curve
for amrita will be too steep to tackle if I need a document in the next
few days.  Does anyone know of a simpler working example of this?

> ------------------------------
> From: "Victor Ivrii" <vivrii at gmail.com>
>
> PDF supports and one can do it vi hyperref
>
> 1) Javascript
> 2) All Adobe Reader/Acrobat menus
> 3) Page transitions
>
> Say, beamer bottom-right navigation panel does similar things. I agree
> that Amrita does amazing things.
>
> BTW, there is another idea (insane) of embedded multipage pdf file:
> using expensive CAD tools make u3d file showing a cube each face of it
> containing image of pdf page (one can use also other Plato bodies) and
> embed it into pdf using movie15.

Insane to attempt perhaps, but I think the result would be lovely.

Thanks again everyone, Craig