[pdftex] Switching paper tray (was Duplex printing?

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Sun Oct 29 12:03:31 CET 2006

2006/10/29, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie>:
> I have had a request for an application to generate PDF files for
> printing on a machine with preprinted stationery in the top tray
> and plain continuation paper in the bottom tray.
>
> As switches like this are usually done via a driver, is there a
> standardised way in which pdf[la]tex can communicate paper-tray
> switching to a printer yet, or does it have to be done with
> \pdfspecials?

The latter.

In PostScript the code for this is normally taken from a PPD and
inserted by the driver (e.g. CUPS).

With PDF you have to generate a portable job ticket (PJTF), which is
an FDF. This can be embedded in the PDF. Of course you need a printer
that handles PJTF.

Btw: The new buzzword for this is JDF (Job Definition Format), which
is (of course) XML.

Best
   Martin