[pdftex] removal of some extensions -- yes or no?

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Wed Nov 22 16:07:42 CET 2006

Thanh Han The schrieb am 22.11.2006 11:24:

> Dear list,
>
> I am considering to remove some extensions I added to pdftex
> recently, as it's hard to make them work reliably, and they
> also seem little useful. In short they are:
>
> ,--------
> | \pdfadjustinterwordglue, \knbscode, \stbscode, \shbscode:
> | adjust the interglue space according to the charater before
> | the glue
> |
> | \pdfprependkern, \knbccode: auto-insertion of a kern before a char
> |
> | \pdfappendkern, \knaccode: auto-insertion of a kern after a char
> `--------
>
> Before I make a decision, I would like to listen to other
> opinions. So please let me know what you think of this.

CMIIW but I thought \pdfprependkern and \pdfappendkern would provide
an opportunity to addjust the tracking without changing the font's
kerning itself. I'd really appreciate this extension because
changing a font is hard work (and needs a lot of knowledge) but
tracking adjustment is often necessary.

Just my 2 cents

Best regards,
	Christoph