[pdftex] No room for a new \dimen (etex.sty and pdfetex 1.30.6)

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat May 13 15:40:33 CEST 2006

On 5/13/06, Alain Matthes <alain.matthes at mac.com> wrote:

> [...]
> ! No room for a new \dimen .
> \ch at ck ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}
>
> if i use etex.sty, the problem disappears . I was surprised
>   because I thought that pdetex had incorporated etex.sty !
> But that's wrong ?

AFAIK, pdfetex provides the extended pool, but you still have to load
etex.sty to allow latex use them:

(from etex.sty):
%% When the normal register pool for \count, \dimen, \skip, \muskip,
%% \box, or \toks registers is exhausted, we switch to the extended pool.

I guess you are asking why latex2e doesn't incorporate etex.sty now
that pdfetex is being used.  If this is done, should there be a
warning when the extended pool is first used, just so people realize
when (where and why) they go beyond the old limits.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia