[pdftex] Adobe Times instead of Nimbus fonts

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu May 4 21:37:46 CEST 2006

On 4 May 2006, at 19:47, A.V.Kuznetsov wrote:

>> I'm using pdflatex with Miktex (mainly Beamer with Times.sty and
>> mathtime.sty) which replaces Adobe Times with Nimbus. How do I get
>> back
>> to my old trusty real Adobe Times? I do own both the Adobe Times and
>> YandY MathTime fonts. Is there an easy way to get rid of the Nimbus
>> fonts?
>>
>> Nothing wrong with the Nimbus, I suppose, but I just get hooked with
>> Times and don't want to change. I understand that someone might
>> say this
>> is a MikTeX question, but I take my chance asking this group first.

I think this is a configuration issue, which will get better answers
from the MiKTeX help locations (wherever those may be).

> 1) Copy ???/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg to ???/localtexmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
>
> 2) Read comments in the begining of ???/localtexmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> and change the line, describing font substitution,
> from
> LW35 URWkb (or LW35 URW)
> LW35 ADOBE

Probably MikTeX has its own mechanism for this, so the updmap script
probably is replaced by something else.
On TeXLive systems, you shouldn't do the above either.

updmap -h shows the help, which "show(s) alternatives for options".

updmap --showoptions LW35
URWkb URW ADOBE ADOBEkb

So
     updmap --setoption LW35 ADOBE
should do the trick, or (if you use the Karl Berry naming scheme):
     updmap --setoption LW35 ADOBEkb

> 3) run `updmap' from command line.

This may install things only locally. updmap-sys will work system-wide.

Maarten