[pdftex] RE : Re: \includepdf : missing symbols

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:57:37 CEST 2006

On 6/22/06, H V <boite_anti_spam at yahoo.fr> wrote:

>  >  Some symbols are missing when I use \includepdf. Is there a way to
>  > come back on the page and include it "by hand" ?
>
> You haven't given us much to go on.  It sounds like the included pdf
> is not being rendered correctly.  Why not fix the underlying problem
> rather than looking for a
> way to patch up your bad result?
>
> Have you tried a current version of pdftex?  Can you construct a
> minimal example for others to run?  Where does the included PDF come
> from?

> Sorry for the bad description of the problem.

You still haven't told us the software versions, platform, etc.  Do
you see a problem using
<http://www.tug.org/yandy/download/chironmt.pdf> (MathTime sample
document that everyone can use)?  The result of the following seems OK
at first glance, using tl2005 with pdftex-1.40 .0-beta-20060213.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf{chironmt.pdf}
\end{document}

> I need to insert a published pdf (therefore I cannot provide it for the members
> of the list to test it) in a document. It seems that it use a fond called MTSY. I
> found on the net that this font must be bought, and the admin of my local
> network won't buy it. The result is a dot instead of a sigma in my pdftex
> document. I tried to replace mathtype by bellbeek, but it must work only
> with a tex source, not with a pdf source... Any hint ?

If the original PDF has the fonts embedded (so it can be viewed on a
system without the fonts), it should work with \includepdf.  An
alternative is to render the original pdf file (e.g., using the
embedded font) to produce a pdf with outline paths or even an image.
You can use pstoedit with ghostscript (gsview for a GUI front end if
you are on linux or Win32) to make the outline paths.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia