[pdftex] How to covert pdf file into latex file?

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 13 21:40:35 CEST 2006

>> However, supposing one were to put the *TeX sources into a PDF
>> stream, how would one extract that stream back into human-readable
>> form? Can pdfeTeX do it (I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask)?
>
> however, this presumes foresight.  "i know i'm going to lose this
> source, so i'll make an extra copy in the pdf".  doesn't seem a
> particularly efficient way of ensuring you've still got a copy (i'm a
> believer in backup procedures, myself).
Using PDF as a source-code container makes perfect sense in a number
of applications. For example it allows the generation of
self-substantiating, computational articles that allow the
interested reader to sample the reported work first hand.
The motivation for the approach is described in:

    http://www.amrita-eook.org/doc/amr2003

and for an interesting essay on the concept of ``reproducible research''
I would recommend:

    http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~donoho/Reports/1995/wavelab.pdf

James