[pdftex] Graphics for pdflatex and memoir.sty

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jan 3 15:00:52 CET 2006

On my current project I find it expedient to use pdflatex instead
of pdftex or Context. I am using memoir.sty. I need just one
graphic (currently a jpeg) for a logo on the title page.

Given this combination, am I well advised to use the LaTeX
graphic commands or the pdftex graphic commands? The graphic will
need to be resized. I can of course convert it from jpeg to
something else if that is helpful.

Commentary:
Why does an old LaTeX avoider like me turn to pdflatex? Well the
book is in MSWord Doc format with lots of italics and footnotes.
The easiest way to transmute this lead into gold while keeping
those features intact is to:
1. Save it as an rtf file from Open Office.
2. Use rtf2latex2e to create the raw LaTeX file.
3. Edit the heck out of that file to remove the inevitable
superfluous code.

My previous technique of importing the .doc file into abiword and
then saving it as either plain text or LaTeX requires too much work to
restore footnotes, italics, and sometimes hyphens.

-
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: