[pdftex] PDF 1.7

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 10:44:14 CET 2006

On 12/14/06, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> anyhow, it's a big book with quite some content, fonts, etc etc so 30 meg is not that bad (and in prepress, books one fifth of that size but with more color and graphics easily can add up to 400 meg, so in some sense, given teh size, 30 meg is small).

Few days ago I was giving the lecture to graduate students about TeX,
PDF etc (in order to promote paying more attention to electronic
publications which unfortunately are treated mainly as a poor man'
(without a printer) copies of the paper publications). In particular I
discussed digitalization of old books and demonstrated them three
scans (2 consecutive pages of 20 y.o. Russian mathematical book
scanned to 1 pdf page): the same computer/scanner/sw/pages just
different settings. BW was 84K, and I suggested them to guess the size
of highest quality grayscale and color. The most brave suggested 10
times larger. To their surprise, grayscale was 1.2MB and color was
4.7MB. Surely I was cheating: the book was printed on the bad paper
which became yellow (there was only text) and the color depth was set
on maximum but they have seen it anyway. To be honest, I was surprised
too :-)