[pdftex] kpathsea environment variables

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 5 02:31:35 CEST 2005

Thomas Esser wrote:

>One can define arbitrary variables in a config file (texmf.cnf) and
>each of them can be overwritten by an environment variable. Even more,
>a variable foo in a config file can be overwritten by by the envvar
>foo and foo_<progname> if <progname> is the string that the program has
>given as argument to kpse_set_program_name() during initialization.
>
>Example:
>
>  $ TEXPOOL_foo=funny; export TEXPOOL_foo
>  $ tex -ini -progname foo tex.ini
>  ! I can't read tex.pool; bad path?
>
>This invocation of tex has made use of the envvar TEXPOOL_foo (the path
>funny is invalid and thus, tex.pool cannot be found).

    I'm not sure how this is relevant to my question, or are you
suggestion that the only option I have is to parse the texmf.cnf file?

>>interacts with pdfTeX, etc. and it would be useful to know which
>>environment variables the user provides will be significant when
>>executing kpathsea aware programs as subprocesses.  Thanks!
>>

>I strongly suggest that you read the full kpathsea manual (texdoc
>kpathsea).

    I've looked at it, but it didn't seem to have anything to say on the
subject of procuring a list of environment variables.  Is there are
particular section I should be studying?  Thanks.

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw at cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]