[pdftex] kpathsea environment variables

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Sep 5 06:35:42 CEST 2005

>    I'm not sure how this is relevant to my question, or are you
> suggestion that the only option I have is to parse the texmf.cnf file?

Well, there might be more than one texmf.cnf file and the list of
variables found in them is not complete, e.g. TEXMFINI, TEXFONTS are
not mentioned in any of them. Some of those variables can be found in
texk/kpathsea/tex-file.c (in the kpathsea source tree). And some others
are even application specific (e.g. DVIPSFONTS).

I have no solution for you. Maybe, you can implement some simple solution
(based on a fixed list of variable) which works 95% of the time. For a
100% solution, you might need to pass the full environment.

>    I've looked at it, but it didn't seem to have anything to say on the
> subject of procuring a list of environment variables.  Is there are
> particular section I should be studying?  Thanks.

I have not mentioned it, because it offers a list of envvars. But it
describes in detail how everything works, so after reading it, you should
know a lot of details (e.g. that several texmf.cnf files might be read).

Thomas