[pdftex] Embedding Helvetica?

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 1 05:05:45 CEST 2005

[Apologies if this mail arrives twice; I sent it several hours ago
before I had subscribed to the list and I didn't get a bounce, nor
does it show up in the Web archives.]

Hi,

I am trying to prepare the final version of a paper for the IEEE,
which requires embedding all fonts, even the base 14 fonts.  I'm
including PDF graphics which use the Type 1 Helvetica fonts (but do
not fully embed or subset them), and I have the fonts in a directory,
named properly and so forth; pdfTeX seems to be able to find them.

I've tried using "pdftexDownloadBase14" set to false and true, and
when I set it to false it embeds even fewer fonts than before; I've
also tried changing all the lines mentioning Helvetica in pdftex.map
so they contain "<<phvr8a.pfb" and so forth.  The output of pdffonts is:

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
EGASBQ+Times-Roman                   Type 1       yes yes no      52  0
PSZGPK+CMSY10                        Type 1       yes yes no      55  0
DXVMHC+Times-BoldItalic              Type 1       yes yes no      59  0
HCUPWX+Times-Bold                    Type 1       yes yes no      62  0
YQNVQS+Times-RomanSC                 Type 1       yes yes no      65  0
QPFRXN+Times-Italic                  Type 1       yes yes no      68  0
UQDZCZ+Math1                         Type 1       yes yes no      71  0
VJHVZS+Math2                         Type 1       yes yes no      74  0
FZOFZJ+Helvetica                     TrueType     yes yes no      93  0
LYRSFU+Helvetica                     TrueType     yes yes no     145  0
PGZQLL+Helvetica                     TrueType     yes yes no     192  0
FFWUKZ+Helvetica-Bold                TrueType     yes yes no     193  0
DFPHTF+Helvetica                     CID TrueType yes yes yes    210  0
CXFBFH+Helvetica-Bold                CID TrueType yes yes yes    211  0
Helvetica                            Type 1       no  no  no     266  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1       no  no  no     269  0
Helvetica                            Type 1       no  no  no     271  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1       no  no  no     272  0
Helvetica-Oblique                    Type 1       no  no  no     276  0
Helvetica                            Type 1       no  no  no     277  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1       no  no  no     278  0

Is there any way I can get these Helvetica fonts to be embedded?

Thanks,

--Nicholas