[pdftex] fonts

Adam Kucharczyk adamk at ijp-pan.krakow.pl
Tue Oct 11 16:29:57 CEST 2005

Hello.

First of all, as for my first post here: thank you all for such a
fantastic program! I do like pdftex very much for it's beautiful
typesetting, way beyond any competitor!

ivo_welch-pdftex at mailblocks.com napisał(a):

> ...and we of course all hope that with all these different fonts will
> come a utility program that will be smart enough to ask the user where
> his font [and perhaps other necessary files] sit, understand [perhaps
> even guess] encodings, then copy/load them all correctly into the TeX
> distribution (pdftex, latex, dvips, etc), and tell the user "now you can
> use your font xyzxyzxyz, use \\font{xyz}\n".

look at those screenshots:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex

I think that breaking the old way to install and use fonts would be a
revolution at least as big as microtype functions. I don't think that
there would be any complainers: look how easy people accepted to abandon
.dvi for the beauty of microtypography. Reading the thread "pdftex
versus dvips" should give enough courage to make pdftex the typesetting
wonder of the future, even at the cost of loosing backward compatibility.

Greetings
Adam Kucharczyk