[pdftex] Acroread and gettimeofday [was: Cropping bottom margin off one-page documents.]

Michael Chapman pdftex at mchapman.com
Wed Sep 22 08:43:11 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 11:39 pm, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> strace is a program which records system calls.  It seems that
> acroread has nothing else to do than permanently ask the operating
> system "how late is it?".  See below.  I've never seen something like
> this anywhere else.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Can't see why it would be needed, but it could be a benign nonsense command?

Our dial-up ISP seems to like to drop connections if they're not busy and it
is ;-)>   (Not so bad if one was assured of the same IP address the next
time.) So we 'block' the connection open with silly calls ("ping").

Can't see why acroread would need anything similar, but it may be a
work-around rather than what it appears ....

Michael Chapman