[pdftex] Supremacy (?) of pdflatex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 4 10:17:33 CEST 2004

twma at maths.uwa.edu.au wrote:

> Sorry, I did not make myself clear. Please compile the file and then it
> should be more clear.
>
> My question has nothing to do with memory (I think) because it is SO SMALL.
> It contains only one big page (size: a4-paper) and three minipages on top of
> it.
>
> It is IMPOSSIBLE for the paper version (like the old book) to hold three
> minipages at the same location (or position) of the big page.
>
> Is it possible for pdfLatex to produce one-page pdf-file containing three
> minipages which are all located at the same lower right hand corner (for
> example)? People can read each minipage one after another by clicking a
> button near the location of the minipages. If this has been done, I consider
> that the dynamic pdf-files are more superior than the static conventional
> books.This is what I mean by supremacy.
>
> I hope that I can make myself more clear now. Thank you for your attention.

it's no problem to generate such things with pdftex, but you have to use
either xforms or layers; with xforms you loose hyperlinks (annotations)
in such pages,  with layers, you will get stacked annotation which
renders them useless, so, in the case of such 'interactive' partial
pages, you are lost or have to fall back on normal pages (no problem
since you can locate them in an appendix and temporarily go to such page
and back.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE