[pdftex] Font map files on Miktex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Nov 18 16:02:55 CET 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 04:16, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:44:02AM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> >>I look in pdftex.map for information about fonts on my TeXlive
> >> installation under Linux. I also have a Miktex installation on my
> >> Windows 2000 partition but no pdftex.map file. Where is that
> >> information stored on a Miketex install?
> >>--
> >>John Culleton
> >
> > Maybe pdftex uses psfonts.map?
>
> take a look at the log file, and search for .map; it should show the
> location
>
> Hans
Based your test pdftex uses psfonts.map. More specifically it uses one of
three different psfonts.map files, presumably the one that ends up in
~localtexmf\config\pdftex
These three psfonts.map files are almost identical. The one used for pdftex
is distinguished by leaving off the name of the pfb file in some cases.
There are also some differences in the descriptive titles for some URW
fonts.

It seems to me that the whole map file business could be simplified and
enhanced by two changes:

1. Use a single map file for all purposes.  Having three separate map files
seems a distinction without much difference. They are about 95% identical.

2. Designate with perhaps a % at the end those fonts actually available on
the distribution when downloaded.  There are over 2100 fonts/variants
described in a typical psfonts.map file, and it is a chore to search out
which are available and which are not. On my miktex installation there are
only 215 pfb files.  If the % is not practical then a separate listing
could be included.

--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: