[pdftex] Re: PdfTeX and SVG graphics

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Nov 15 18:48:33 CET 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Ben Crowell wrote:

> I have about 700 preexisting figures, used in a series of physics textbooks.
> I originally did them in Adobe Illustrator, and am now trying to get so I
> I can do all the editing of them in open-source software. I'm now at the
> point where my only reason for maintaining a Mac is to run Illustrator.

I'm in much the same position, but at work the Macs are long gone, so
Illustrator lingers on a few old SGI machines and can sometimes be found
on Win XP machines.  I've done lots of simple figures in sketch (Python
app which I think is now called skencil -- our internet connectivity is
dicey due to a storm that has put power out since Sat. PM).  Since I find
that publishers often think EPS is the same as AIEPS, I still load every
figure into Illustrator and save it, and there are often glitches that
need to be fixed, particularly with things like gradient fills.  Maybe
current versions running on a current Python are more reliable.  If yout
figures are very simple then skencil might do the trick.

Inkscape looks promising, but was fragile when I last tried it, so I
never got far enough to worry about svg-->AI conversion.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
   Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada