[pdftex] Cropmarks and plain pdftex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri May 14 01:18:46 CEST 2004

wrote:
> > > I want to print out a book with cropmarks. The
> > > project is near completion. I don't want to redo the
> > > whole book in either Context or pdflatex at this
> > > point.
> > >
> > > The only packages I can find on this are cropmark.sty
> > > (Victor Eijkhout) and cropmark.tex (Peter Ungar) The
> > > first package puts the cropmarks in the wrong place
> > > at the top, and the second yields no marks at all.
> > >
> > > Has anyone dealt with crop marks in a plain pdftex
> > > run?
> >
> >I have typeset a book with plain pdftex. I wrote my own
> > output routine to support cropmarks, mirroring a grid.
> > I can send you that file, but IMHO it might take longer
> > to understand than the case you write your own.
>
> Using context:
>
> \starttext
>
> \setuppapersize[A4][A3]
> \setuplayout[marking=on,location=middle]
> \copypages[m.pdf]
>
> \stoptext
>
> of course you need to set the papersize right.
>
> Hans

Another magic Context command, one I wasn't aware of
{\copypages.) I'll give it a try. The above could be used as
a utility program to be reused with minor mods.

Here is my expanded version of the above:
---------------------------------
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
\definepapersize[bok][width=4.25in,height=7in]
\setuppapersize[bok][letter]
\setuplayout[marking=on,location=middle]
\starttext
\copypages[book.pdf]
\stoptext

Apparently I am not the only one looking for a solution :-)

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers