[pdftex] Embedding Base14 fonts

Martin Schröder ms at artcom-gmbh.de
Mon Mar 29 12:05:45 CEST 2004

On 2004-03-28 17:32:18 +0200, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
> Thierry Bouche wrote:
> > At the beginning of PDF, embedding the 14 Base fonts was simply
> > forbidden by the PDF format (or at least by its acrobat
> > implementation. But at this time acrobat shipped with the PS real
> > fonts, then adobe went to the MS clones (probably for the sake of MS
> > office compatibility, which is certainly the case of most existing
> > PDFs...
> >
> > What I know is that when pdftex choosed not to embed the 14 base
> > fonts, many (most?) RIPs would reject a PDF with those fonts
> included.
>
> Wow. That would be of course a killing argument not to embed any of
> the base 14 fonts.

That's wrong. The base14 fonts are simply "guaranteed to be
available in all PDF viewer applications" and "can be used
without prior definition". Since PDF aims at small files, these
are normally not embedded.

OTOH PDF/X requires all fonts to be embedded.

Best regards
        Martin
               Martin Schröder, ms at artcom-gmbh.de
     ArtCom GmbH, Lise-Meitner-Str 5, 28359 Bremen, Germany
          Voice +49 421 20419-44 / Fax +49 421 20419-10
                    http://www.artcom-gmbh.de