[pdftex] FORMS of hyperref only work with Acrobat Professional ??

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jan 18 04:47:04 CET 2004

Hello TW,

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, TW Ma wrote:

> I have done         testform.tex---->testform.pdf
> with pdflatex by miktex on window-2000.
>
> When I click the text-field, I got an error message: Adobe Reader does not
> save the data (see the end of this email). I tried to contact
> Acrobat-Professional for advice but could not find the email address from
> their site. Be very grateful if somebody could help before I decide to
> purchase Acrobat-Professional.
>
> Questions:
>
> a) Should I use Acrobat-Professional to process testform.pdf ?

Not sure what you mean by 'process' here.
Adobe Reader is all that's required to read a PDF containing
forms. This is sufficient to fill-in the form, and send data
back to a receiving program (e.g. a cgi-script).

> Could version-5 do this job? Or must be version-6??
> Is there any command in pdf-Latex similar to something like
>
>         \usepackage{acrobatProfessional}
>
> b) Should the viewers (Clients) have a copy of acrobat-Professional instead
> of the free copy of acrobatReader in order to send data to me? This is my

No; the Reader is sufficient for this. See

     http://rutherglen.ics.mq.edu.au/~macqtex/

for an application of pdfLaTeX-generated PDF forms,
which we use to test/train students in mathematical concepts.
(It's a system for serving self-marking quizzes, and recording
the student's results.)

> interpretation of the error message. In this case, the application of
> pdf-forms would be very restrictive.

> c) Hyperref has been around for many years. What is the easiest way to pass
> data from   testform.pdf to the action-file: abcxyz.php?? Related pointers
> to examples would also be greatly appreciated.

I've not used php for this.
The MacQTeX application, at the URL above, uses Perl to read and
process the forms-data sent to a CGI-script (written in Perl).

> \begin{Form}[action=abcxyz.php, method=post]

This cannot work.
The adddess needs to be a full URL, so that the web-server
receives the incoming data; e.g.

   [action=http://www.tug.org/~myself/abcxyz.php,method=post]

(for a user  myself  at  www.tug.org  )

> Thank you in advance.   twma at maths.uwa.edu.au