[pdftex] Re: question regarding pdftex

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Sep 24 13:38:47 CEST 2003

Le mardi 23 septembre 2003 à 23:46:06, Hans Hagen écrivit :

HH> Hi Weps,

HH> Since your question is probably related to latex i report your question to
HH> the pdftex list.  (I don't use latex myself so i cannot be of help.)

mmh, not that much latex related...

>>I have a problem w/ pdftex- well not really a problem:
>>For my university thesis I use latest pdftex on Linux w/ babel dictionary
>>for german.
>>The pdfoutput is really good but what I'd like to do is count the
>>automatic line breaks it does.

I would use pdftotext + gnu textutils

assuming this is a one page doc :
\pagestyle{empty}

% pdftotext -raw x.pdf
% cat x.txt | grep -v '^$' | wc-l
(assuming you don't want to count empty lines)

or

% pdftotext -raw x.pdf
% cat x.txt | grep '\-$' | grep -v '\-\-$' | wc -l

for trailing hyphens ?

If the table is not the only content of a single page, print some
pattern to the PDF and use split after pdftotext?

But maybe I understood nothing to the request!

 Thierry Bouche