[pdftex] Clipping

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 23 19:48:52 CEST 2003

Hi Martin,

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Martin Schroeder wrote:

> Hi,
> has anybody implemented support for clipping in pdflatex? Best
> would be something like \makebox in the picture environment but
> with clipping around the box.

Clipping works with \includegraphics , so you could produce
the TeX material that you want clipped as a separate job,
then import it as a clipped image.

(This requires 2 jobs; so yes, it would be nice to have a mechanism
that allows a box to be set, but only a portion of it shown.)

In fact we have a process in which quiz solutions are imported
this way, as the icons for button-fields, which can be shown
and hidden. The TeX pages are automatically clipped to the
rectangle specified for the field.
The solutions are prepared in one pdfLaTeX run and imported into
the quiz document later. It would be nice to be able to shorten
this process too.

Cheers

	Ross