[pdftex] pdftex 1.10b: Incorrect (bounding boxes) inclusion of pdf-pictures.

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sat May 24 00:08:59 CEST 2003

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 08:34:40PM +0200, Andreas Matthias wrote:

> Stas Fomin wrote:
>
> >       pdftex 1.10b (pdflatex) from miktex 2.3 incorrectly includes pdf-
> >       pictures into pdf (problems with bounding boxes).
>
> I think that somegraph.pdf is not a legal PDF. According to the
> PDF Reference a cropbox has to be specified in a page object and
> not in the page tree node as somegraph.pdf does it.

No, in my version of the PDF Reference it is perfectly legal:
  Section "Inheritance of Page Attributes"
Some attributes of a /Page object (table 3.18) are marked
as inheritable (Resources, MediaBox, CropBox, Rotate) and may
occur in page tree nodes. As example a MediaBox can be given
in the root node of the page tree for all pages and individual
pages can overwrite the value.

But there is an exception for linearized PDF: here
page attributes must not be inherited from anchestor nodes,
they have to be given in the page dictionary.

Thus you can linearize your graphics file (Adobe Acrobat or
pdfopt from Ghostscript) and pdfTeX should be happy.

But the question remains why the behaviour of pdfTeX is
now worse than the old versions and whether it can be
fixed. (I hope, Martin can answer this more quickly than I,
because he has added support for different kinds of
Boxes (Media, Crop, ...) and incorporated sources of xpdf 2).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>