[pdftex] Fonts

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 23:49:20 CEST 2003

look at http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tempinst

> Also, are .vf, .vpl, .tfm files
> sufficent to use a new font or some other files like .sty are also required.
> If yes, from where could I download those?

pdf(la)tex requires actual fonts (tfm and vf are metrics and virtual
metrics respectively).  the "actual fonts" are preferably type 1
fonts, .pfb or .pfa; and pdf(la)tex also needs map files to help it to
recognise which font file contains which font.

so where do these things come from?

1. if they're designated "resident", pdf(la)tex assumes they're going
to appear magically, somehow.  adobe times roman is usually set up
this way, on the assumption that everyone has it.

2. they may be public domain fonts, and may be found on ctan.  search
ctan in the ordinary way.

3. they may be commercial fonts, in which case you need to get them
from their supplier.  (either a font foundry direct or through its
website, or from one of the foundry's agents.)

>   Secondly, does pdflatex provide options to set the security options of
> acrobat like disable copy, printing just like one can specify author name
> and others of Document Settings etc.

no.