[pdftex] Download binary version.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Mar 24 18:47:52 CET 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 10:33 am, John Culleton wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance but I have a problem using the latest binary version as
> listed on the pdftex page on www.tug.org.  When  I substitute it for
> the binary from TeXlive I get the following error:
>
> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> Texhash doesn't help.
>
> Both pdftex and pdfetex have the same problem.
>
> I run a Slackware Linux system and my TeXlive is version 7. I dowloaded the
> Linux binary from http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex. My paths are
> normal e.g.: /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux for the binaries.

Thanks for all the replies. To retain a functioning system I am upgrading
pdfetex only. This leaves me with a functioning (but obsolete) pdftex.

Per Petr's suggestion I ran fmtutil --all. Several formats errored off.
I ran texconfig but nothing there seemed to be applicable.
I substituted the latest pdfetex.pool.txt for pdfetex.pool and now
fmtutil --all
proceeded without error.

However the new version does not recognize an embedded tif file as a file
type. The old version handled the same code without error. the error messasge
is:
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./revelations.tex{/usr/TeX/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg} (./testit.tex)
(./excerpt.tex) [1{/usr/TeX/texmf-var/dvips/config/pdftex.map}]
Error: pdfetex (file title.tif): unknown type of image
 ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

So having jumped through the aforementioned hoops I still don't have an up to
date pdfetex binary that works.

Any further suggestions?

John Culleton