[pdftex] PassiveTeX

Rolf Dieterich Rolf.Dieterich at gmx.de
Thu Mar 20 10:06:14 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 13:06, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > SUN xmlroff. troff/groff is still alive!!
>
> I am not sure the two are related. I dont know why Sun call their FO
> engine "xmlroff".

Ups, you're totally right, "xmlroff" is only wishful naming. In reality,
it's based on PDFlib (Aladdin licence for commercial use!). On the other hand,
most of the Gnome components have been already successfully ported to Cygwin
(pango I'm not quite sure of), PDFlib for Win32 is available at
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net. So it could be straight forward to make xmlroff run in
Windows as well.

> all, but he didnt extend it. eqn, particularly, was frozen when Ossanna
> died, and I think it was regarded as unfinished.

I can't imagine to have written my master thesis on extreme-value theory in
time-series with means of eqn. And if you look at some older books of the
eighties which are typeset with troff and its macro packages then your
aesthetical sense is somewhat disappointed. I think that's mainly because the distance
between letters within words is also varying; this kind of stretching to
fill the lines is very disturbing.

Rolf