[pdftex] PassiveTeX

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 10:48:06 CET 2003

Why is this thread on pdftex mailing list not on xsl-list (which had a
very similiar thread a few weeks ago) it appears to be completely off
topic. It has nothing to do with pdftex at all.

However

> Are there any XSL-FO to TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt text converters on CTAN

Not as far as I know, but I understand that some of the commercial fo
engines do internally work that way, mapping to TeX for rendering.

> or would
> that be a challenging opportunity to contribute something new to the TeX
> community?

You could probably fairly mechanically translate pasivetex's xmltex
templates to XSLT templates then you'd have such a system implemented in
XSLT. It's not clear what you'd gain though.

> The only way I know of would be a Windows-only solution based on two
> commercial tools with RTF/Word as an intermediate format
> (http://www.word2tex.com/ and http://www.schema.de/sitehtml/site-e/products.htm).

I can't imagine any translation path from any xml format, including FO,
to TeX that would usefully go via Word. If you have a word document the
usual FAQ is how to convert it to TeX, for which there are several
converters none of them totally robust as far as I have heard, which
isn't surprising given the different internal models that a word
document and a tex document are encoding. why would you choose to go
from one text format to another via some proprietary word processor?

David