[pdftex] MS Word hell, TeX heaven?

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Thu Mar 13 19:39:06 CET 2003

On Thursday 13 March 2003 7:10 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 01:11:34PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >  It's a
> > workable, but increasingly fragile, authoring interface to the TeX
> > engine; we don't have to feel ashamed of it, but equally we should
> > recognize its limitations.
>
> How can you say that LaTeX is "increasingly fragile"?
> I find it astonishingly solid and completely reliable.

I love Latex !

But ... I would say one point of fragility is the difficulty of handling
non-ASCII text. There are easy work arounds for common situations (but they
all mean I cannot write a Latex document from memory, I have to cut and paste
or use a book, which I find sad) but for multi-encodings of UTF-8 I find
things not that wonderful.

Think we risk 'losing it' if we don't catch up with 'current' encoding
standards ....

Just my thought,

	Michael.