[pdftex] MS Word hell, TeX heaven?

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 14:31:15 CET 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

> Herman Bruyninckx <Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.ac.be>:

[...]

> > - perenniality: one can be sure to be able to access (La)TeX archives at
> >   any time in the distant future.
>
> Yes -- good point. Opening old Word files can easily be quite
> unpleasant.

So can opening old LaTeX files, BTW.  Try opening the files for a book
written prior to LaTeX2e and see if the style files for the fonts,
graphics inclusion, references etc are still around and can be made to
work.  And even if they are, whether the layout is the same, as subtle
changes have been made to some of the format files (my books are in Times
of one variant or another).

I'm afraid I find these arguments pretty specious.  People do write
scholarly books and theses in Word and with modern versions it is quite
reliable.  I would not choose to use it, because I do not like the look of
its results and I prefer to work on Unix/Linux.  But designing and laying
out a book in LaTeX is not `heaven' and there are plenty of dreadful
examples on my bookshelf.  With 3 books over the last 9 years, one with
four editions (and about 20 printings), I am only two well aware of the
costs.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk