[pdftex] Re: [MiKTeX] pdfLaTeX

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Tue Mar 11 10:07:44 CET 2003

Le mardi 11 mars 2003 à 01:10:41, Reinhard Kotucha écrivit :

RK> Distiller doesn't replace the the call to subr 230 by its content, it
RK> just removes the call as well.

RK> Subroutine 230 contains only hinting information, which then is lost.
RK> This might have an impact on the quality of glyph rendering at low
RK> resolutions.

this seems incredible. What version of distiller? With what output
resolution set?

RK> Furthermore, there are some differences in the header:

RK> 3. Hints are removed, such as BlueValues, BlueShift, BlueFuzz.  Does
RK>    Distiller notice that the /BlueValues array is empty in cmsuper?

This I can't believe either: unless it's a print only PDF, or there is
something special with the fonts!

RK> The recent version of dvips doesn't insert dummy subroutines (that
RK> only have a return statement).  If they are not needed by dvips, why
RK> are they needed by PdfTeX?  Are they included to circumvent problems
RK> with Adobe programs?

Yes. This is related with the fact that, when acrobat 5 was released,
all the then current pdftex files would display correctly but wouldn't
print. the reason being that the new adobe product made some assumptions
about how you should subset fonts in PDF, different from the published
specs...

This kind of problems do not matter for dvips as long as PS interpreters
are fully black book compliant, which seems to be the case. The problem
of making a font nice to acrobat 5 is only relevant for the siftware
used to distill the dvips PS to PDF...

 Thierry Bouche