[pdftex] Type-1 fonts can't be opened.

Timo Koerber koerber at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 28 16:42:54 CEST 2003

Hi,
I'm trying to get pdfLaTex to work, but have a problem that I can't seem to overcome:
After compiling the minimal test file with pdfLaTex,

    \documentclass[12pt]{report}
    \begin{document}
    \section{Test}
    This is some testtext with an equation: $\mathbf{C}=\sin\frac{a}{b}$.
    \end{document}

I get errors in the log file:

Warning: pdflatex (file cmmi8.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading
Warning: pdflatex (file cmr12.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading
Warning: pdflatex (file cmbx12.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading

However, these files do exist in my local texmf tree.
The map file (which I updated by running mkfntmap) has entries like
cmmi8 CMMI8 <cmmi8.pfb
cmr12 CMR12 <cmr12.pfb

pdfLaTex produces an output file, but the fonts are all wrong (instead of cm fonts they are some kind of sans serif font, the equation looks ugly).

What is the cause for this problem.
Thanks so much for any help,

Timo Koerber