[pdftex] Why was TIF support removed?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jul 14 12:16:14 CEST 2003

At 17:12 13/07/2003 -0400, Jeffrey McArthur wrote:

>But a the "standard TeX distribution" contains all of the LaTeX stuff.  A
>few more bytes on the TeX executable is insignificant compared to all of
>that.

Not that insignificant: on the latest tex live cdrom afm files had to be
zipped because of the huge cm super files that were added, so it may sound
strange, but 1 meg more or less can make live more easy for those packaging
cd's. When tex live will move to dvd (will happen soon) it's less an issue.

>One suggestion I have made before on cutting down the distribution size is
>to get rid of all the DocStrip files.  With the performance of systems
>today, there is no reason not to just run from files with all the comments
>embedded in them.  That would cut down the distribution size of a full LaTeX
>implementation by at least 25%.  Also it would cut the total number of files
>in about half.

Sounds reasonable to omit one copy. (BTW, I never bothered about stripping
comments from context.)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl