[pdftex] Re: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of destination names=20000]

Randall Hopper spam_schild at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 06:39:52 CET 2003

Martin Schroeder <ms at artcom-gmbh.de>:
 |> teTeX-src-1.0.7.tar.gz   (4/30/00)
 |> teTeX-texmf-1.0.2.tar.gz (3/13/00)
 |
 |Get the latest teTeX-beta or TeXlive7. Or wait till Monday and
 |get pdfTeX 1.10a :-)

Could you point me toward teTeX-beta, TeXlive7, or pdfTeX 1.10a?  I don't
find them off of the teTeX home page (http://tug.cs.umb.edu/tetex/).

Also, pdftex and pdflatex are in the teTeX distribution.  Is pdfTeX a
separate distribution?  I don't know much about TeX, but I'd like to know
more.

Brian Ripley:
 |I've met this frequently with (auto-generated) large manuals.  A 1000-page
 |manual can easily have 20000 destinations (one I am thinking of has 3000
 |in the index alone).  However, with a tolerably recent pdftex the settings
 |mentioned in the original post do solve the problems. I think the problem
 |may be the `tolerably recent' part, and I recall a user of my makefiles
 |with (I think) pdftex-0.13d could not overcome the limits.

Thanks, I'll bet this is what's going on as I'm generating a large manual
from doxygen-generated latex.  It works for small trees but not for large
ones.  And teTeX 1.0.7 ignores "obj_tab_size = 300000", only using 20000.

Thanks,

Randall