[pdftex] PDF/X compliance.

Bill McClain wmcclain at salamander.com
Sat Jan 11 09:00:05 CET 2003

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:00:01 +0100
pdftex-request at tug.org wrote:

> 3. Does anyone have any experiences to share about submitting pdfetex
> produced files for print? (Thus far I have never had a problem.)

I've had only one issue, perhaps not tex-related. In one document I had
a series of 1-bit png graphics. Most were correctly grayscale files but
a few were color, for example:

i40.png: PNG image data, 656 x 665, 1-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
t06.png: PNG image data, 613 x 664, 1-bit colormap, non-interlaced

There should gave been no differences: all appeared black-and-white. But
on paper the background in the "color" images was a very fine "gray"
screen. The png files were created with pnmtopng; next time I'll be sure
that all of my original files are pbm instead of some being pgm. This
determines whether the png file is grayscale or color. (Or maybe some of
the switches...?)

The artifact may be related to the software used at the printer; I can
find out what that is if necessary.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Tales of War
http://sattre-press.com/                       by Lord Dunsany