[pdftex] PDF/X compliance.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Jan 11 11:19:54 CET 2003

At 02:54 PM 1/10/2003 -0500, William Adams wrote:
>John asked:
> >1. Is any PDF/X standard necessary for those of us who work in black
> >and white?
>
>Yes, if your printer wants it, or your company has a standard (say
>ISO-9000 certification) which could be helped by it, maybe.
>
> >2. Does pdfetex produce PDF/X compliant files?
>
>I'd be pretty surprised at this.

actually, i tested this some time ago, and apart from a few extra keys in
the catalog pdftex output is quite pdf/x compliant; (if i remember right i
only had to add a few things); of course color can be a problem (no problem
for the tex part), esp if you include other pdf files.

> >3. Does anyone have any experiences to share about submitting pdfetex
> >produced files for print? (Thus far I have never had a problem.)
>
>pre-PDF/X, pdfTeX files would fail Enfocus Preflight settings for a
>couple of our printers, so we would wash them through PostScript and
>re-Distill.

Hm, in what way do they fail?

[i used pdf-x inspector (free tool)] for testing; personally i don't care
about the few keys missing since they don't mean much; the biggest thing is
probably the few extra boundingboxes (crop and so) and these can b
esupported in the current pdftex]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl