[pdftex] Bug LiteralDirectFirstSpace

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Feb 21 12:20:21 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:50:27AM +0700, The Thanh Han wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:58:26PM +0100, Martin Schroeder wrote:
> > On 2003-02-17 08:47:38 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > > I always wondered why i could not use the direct in mp conversion (didn't
> > > think of bug in pdftex, more of some strange graphic interaction)
> > >
> > > Why is pdf_first_space_corr needed anyway? (what is there to be corrected?)
> >
> > Probably only Thanh knows...
>
> =====================================================================================
> >From pdftex.ch:
>
> @!pdf_first_space_corr: integer; {amount of first word spacing while drawing a string;
> for some reason it is not taken into account of the length of the string, so we
> have to save it in order to adjust spacing when string drawing is finished}
> =====================================================================================
>
> when I pdftexed the example and examined the result in acroread4.05/linuxi386,
> nothing seems odd to me, everything look ok. But when viewed by gv, there are
> some unwanted space before the exclamation marks.

It looks as bug in AR4/Linux.

AR5/Linux, gs5.50, gs8.01, xpdf 0.92 show the extra space with
pdf_first_space_corr <> 0, the output is correct, if pdf_first_space_corr
is set to 0.

> If I remmember correctly, "some reason" looks rather like a bug of acrobat
> reader and pdf_first_space_corr was introduced as a workaround.

Apparently the current workaround seems to be wrong for all other
PDF viewers than AR4/Linux. Without the workaround the result is
not suitable for AR4/Linux.
  Perhaps we have also to set the CTM, if "\pdfliteral direct" is
used inside text blocks (BT ... ET).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>