[pdftex] "Linearized hint data" problem

Jennifer Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Mon Aug 18 00:37:41 CEST 2003

John Culleton wrote:

> On Saturday 16 August 2003 10:24, Jennifer Howlett wrote:
> > John Culleton wrote:

> What is Ghostscript's role in all this? I am not familiar with "optimizing"
> using Ghostscript.  Does theproblem occur if the pdflatex output is
> viewed in Acrobat Reader?

No, the problem only appears when the pdf file is opened in a web
browser.
Both IE and Netscape exhibit the problem.

Ghostscript comes with an optimizer (or linearizer) called pdfopt.
I've been telling my colleagues repeatedly that it is a good idea to
optimize pdf files, but since most of them don't have Acrobat they
have to use pdfopt to do it. This problem is damaging my
credibility!

Bob Howlett