[pdftex] "different nesting level"

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Tue Apr 15 00:01:48 CEST 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, I wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what's going on when this sort of error occurs:
>
> l.26769 {1}}
>             ] [41.0.43
> ! pdfTeX error (ext4): \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level
> than \pdfstartlink.
> <to be read again>
>                    \endgroup
> l.27610 ^^I\endPar{}
>
> \endNode{}\endSeq{}\endDisplayGroup{}\endNode{}\Node%
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>
> This is with pdfjadetex (pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b;
> jadetex 3.12, hyperref 6.71).  The XML source validates OK, and the
> whole document compiled OK with pdfjadetex until I added a few more
> sub-sections recently.

A brief follow-up: The problem above occurred with tex generated by
openjade 1.3.1; I updated to openjade 1.3.2 and the problem peristed.
But then I noticed that on a different machine running openjade 1.3
the document compiled OK.  I "downgraded" to 1.3 on the first machine,
and again the document compiles.

I infer that either there's a bug in openjade versions higher than
1.3, or there's something wrong with jadetex's support for jade >=
1.3.1.  Or something else I haven't thought of :-)

Allin Cottrell.