[pdftex] Optical alignment--again

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Sep 29 10:05:35 CEST 2002

On Saturday 28 September 2002 07:38 pm, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>     > I tried to use character protruding as described in Han The
>     > Thanh's Dissertation. Ther result was overkill. Not only the
>     > end character but the character next to the end character
>     > protruded into the margin.  Here is a snippet from my code:
>     >
>     > [...]
>     >
>     > I used the protcode.tex file as included in the TeXlive
>     > distribution.
>     >
>     > Can anyone suggest a cure?
>
> If you are using pdfTeX version 1.0 the following piece of code in
> protcode.tex causes the problem:
>
>     \ifnum\pdftexversion > 13
>         \ifnum \expandafter`\pdftexrevision > `g
>             \adjustprotcode#1
>     \fi \fi
>
> The check for \pdftexrevision fails.
>
> Just add the lines:
>
>     \ifnum\pdftexversion > 99
>             \adjustprotcode#1
>     \fi
>
> and it should work for the current and future versions.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
 On closer inspection, what I have in protcode.tex  is not exactly the
above:

 -------------------------------------
 \def\adjustprotcode#1{%
    \needadjustprotcodefalse
    \ifnum\pdftexversion > 13
        \ifnum \expandafter`\pdftexrevision > `g
            \needadjustprotcodetrue
        \fi
    \else\ifnum\pdftexversion > 14
        \needadjustprotcodetrue
    \fi\fi

Allowing for this difference, exactly where do I insert your addition,
right after the \fi\fi?

Should I adjust your addition  to say \needadjustprotcodetrue instead of
\adjustprotcode#1?

Thanks for your help!

John Culleton