[pdftex] JBIG2

Martin Schroeder ms at artcom-gmbh.de
Tue Oct 22 11:45:07 CEST 2002

On 2002-10-22 10:33:55 +0200, Thierry Bouche wrote:
> Le lundi 21 octobre 2002 à 13:09:40, Martin Schroeder écrivit :
>
> MS> The upcoming xpdf 2.00 has an JBIG2 decoder, so the next pdfTeX
> MS> version will be able to handle them.
>
> Hmm, if handling means decoding and recompressing with gzip, this is not
> necessarily good news...

No, it's a native decoder (as is the lzw decoder)

> I think what would be interestng would be either en encoder to JBIG2 and
> a way to include them in pdftex like JPEG or PNG; or simply an encoder
> from anything to JBIG2 in PDF.

You will get the first one in the next pdftex and the encoder
should be trivial to write from xpdf 2.0 and pdftex 1.10

> MS> Now if anybody wants to
> MS> write an encoder (or any applications having one) ...
>
> AFAIK, decoders begin to exist (acrobat 5, xpdf 2), encoders wait for
> the standard to be published!

Ah yes. I am still waiting for any application that actually
_writes_ JBIG2. :-)

Best regards
        Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, MS at ArtCom-GmbH.DE
          ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Straße 8, D-28359 Bremen