[pdftex] Typesetting a paper collection

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Oct 14 18:00:24 CEST 2002

On Monday 14 October 2002 11:13 am, Wilson, Peter R wrote:
> [...]

In my book simple solutions are best for complicated situations. I use
plain tex and combine documents with the \input statement at will. I
can put the fixed stuff like font definitions, chapter macros etc. in
a separate file. The article or chapter files will be mostly text.
When combining an article into a larger document one only  needs to
comment out the statement calling the fixed stuff in the individual
file (it would be redundant.) So the article file looks like this:
\input mymacros
\chapter{How I Saved the World}

For the combined document I merely comment out the first line in the
article file  and call the text in with

\input mymainmacros
\input articleone.tex
The definition of \chapter could be different in the mymacros and
mymainmacros files.

I think you have greater flexibilty in combining source files rather
than pdf files. Because of all the overhead in LaTeX this may not be
so easy however.

The great virtue in plain tex or plain pdftex is that you are in
control and you don't have to search out some special style to trick
out the system. YMMV of course.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters