[pdftex] Handwritten pdf graphics

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 14 17:09:08 CEST 2002

At 01:48 PM 10/14/2002 +0200, Tobias Haustein wrote:

>1) If you need color spaces, patterns, fonts or other external resources, it
>is impossible to tell pdflatex to include these resources in the page
>resources. Of course, you can use \pdfpageresources, but if you define
>resources that are also used by pdflatex, both resource declarations go into
>the resources table which results in undefined behaviour. It would be
>excellent, if pdfTeX would allow to specify such resources.

you can encapsulate whatever you want in an xform and add resources to
that, works ok here (for shading, patterns, transparency and whatever)

>2) For fonts, we've found a working solution. The problem here is that the
>font needs to be defined. If pdfTeX does not use the font itself, it is not
>included in the PDF document. We use \pdfliteral to define a new context with
>an empty clip region, set the font in tex code, write one character and end
>the local context by \pdfliteral. The other characters are declared using
>\pdfincludechars, which works perfect. It would be nice if one could tell
>pdftex to include a font even if it is not used in the tex code.

undocumented experimental feature: \pdfincludechars\font{a} b

4) We can't include the space-character in the font. pdfTeX does not use this
>character and seems to refuse to include it in the font. As far as I can see,
>this worked with old versions of pdfTeX, but newer versions won't include the
>character. Therefore, we need to use the TJ-Operator in order to use the
>kerning parameter to get a space. It works well, but makes things more
>complicated.

tex does not have the concept of a space character, only of glue (of course
you can include a space char explicitly, given that your font has one)

>6) If you include embedded PDF images into the PDF document, the produced
>document is not printable (at least with our printers here). I think that this
>is a PDF problem and no pdfTeX problem, but it remains a problem. Of course,

or a printer problem, i never had problems with pdf images

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl