[pdftex] naive question regarding concatenating pdfs

Donald Ball dball at rhoworld.com
Thu Nov 21 16:11:09 CET 2002

Hiya. I'm a total neophyte when it comes to tetex. I'm trying to simply
concatenate a series of pdf files. I've found this recipe:

texexec --pdf-arrange --result=output.pdf foo.pdf bar.pdf

but when I try it on my vanilla Mandrake Linux box, I get:

[balld at rhover tmp]$ texexec --pdfarrange --result=output.pdf FIG*

 TeXExec 1.9 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

             backspace : 0pt
              topspace : 0pt
           paperoffset : 0pt
     empty pages added : none
             textwidth : unknown
                duplex : on
               pdffile : FIG_FAL.pdf
       number of pages : 1

               pdffile : FIG_FAM.pdf
       number of pages : 1

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : texexec
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
               options : once
          current mode : all
            outputfile : output.pdf

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
Sorry, I can't find the format `cont-en.efmt'; will try `context.efmt'.
I can't find the format file `context.efmt'!

              run time : 0 seconds
              renaming : texexec to output.pdf

Obviously I need to have done some post-installation configuration of
tetex, but I have neither any idea what to do nor, unfortunately, where to
look for answers. Can anyone lend me a clue? Thanks.

- donald