[pdftex] Using TTF Chinese fonts with CJK and pdfTeX

Daniel Flipo Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Tue Nov 19 18:49:15 CET 2002

Hi all,

Currently, I run a TeXlive7 installation including CJK to typeset
Chinese texts in LaTeX.

I have truetype fonts (gkai00mp.ttf, bkai00mp.ttf,
ntukai.ttf...) installed, and up to now ttf2pk builds *.pk
files on the fly, so I can preview and print my texts.

Fine, but I would like to get rid of the *.pk files and go through
pdfLaTeX instead of LaTeX to use the *.ttf files directly (not creating
lots of .pfb files either).

I read a thread about this topic on this list (May 2001), this thread
lets me think it should work...
I understand I have to add lines like
ntukai?? <???.enc <ntukai.ttf
to my psfonts.map, but I have no idea of how to produce the necessary
.enc files...

I have ttf2pt1 (version 3.3.3), the .sfd files from the CJK package,
whatelse do I need? How do I proceed?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Daniel Flipo                                  Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
UFR de Mathématiques -- Bâtiment M2           Tél : (33/0) 3 20 43 67 75
Université des Sciences et Technologies       Fax : (33/0) 3 20 43 67 74
F-59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex  France