[pdftex] weird page sizes?

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Thu Nov 14 13:15:01 CET 2002

I'm now finding (I'm not sure when this started) that I'm getting some
weird page sizes, as reported by Acrobat reader, when using pdflatex,
and I wonder if anyone knows what settings might be responsible.

cat pdftex.cfg...

output_format 1
compress_level 9
decimal_digits 2
horigin 1 true in
vorigin 1 true in
move_chars 2
map pdftex.map

cat foo.tex...

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\begin{document}

Here is some text.

\end{document}

When I do "pdflatex foo.tex" I get a pdf file that shows in Acroread
as having a page size of 7.5" x 11.44".  If I replace the "a4paper"
in foo.tex with "letterpaper" the pdf file comes out at 7.63" x 10.76"

If I put explicit page dimensions into pdftex.cfg for one sort of
paper, e.g.

page_width 210 true mm
page_height 297 true mm

then the pdf file comes out right, for that sort of paper -- but
surely I shouldn't have to do that?  What can I have hosed?!

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics