[pdftex] Special pdf features.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Nov 5 19:59:48 CET 2002

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 07:13 am, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> Michael Chapman wrote:
> > >
> > > This will be removed in future versions of pdfTeX. The list
> > > archive (http://tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/) contains a recent
> > > discussion about other applications which encrypt pdfs.
> >
> > Yes, Martin, I thought I wouldn't re-open that debate ;-)>
> > Also thought his interest was `now', not the future.
> >
> > All that said, yours is a valid point which needed making (there's
> > no point users getting comfortable with something about to
> > disappear), so thanks for adding to my reply,
>
> since we know culleton doesn't believe in latex, suggesting he should
> use latex packages is futile anyway.
>
> i have a friend who's a sound engineer; he gets very annoyed at
> lecturers who (in effect) ask him for a 5-minute summary of his 20
> years' professional experience, so they "can do it right".
> similarly, culleton asking us how to do these jobs "simply" (this
> isn't the first time), is in effect asking heiko to summarise the
> 3-4k lines of hyperref.sty
>
> i'm not surprised he seldom gets a straight answer...
>
> robin

Until it is decreed that LaTeX and only LaTeX solutions are allowable
then perhaps it should be legitimate to ask for a pdfTeX solution to a
question. The lower the language the more things can be done in it at
least in theory. So the range of things accomplishable in pdfTeX
should be a superset of the range of things accomplishable in
pdfLaTeX. I did a bit more RTFM and found the navigation answer in the
/PageMode value of /FullScreen.  Exactly how one encodes this in a
pdfTeX document is not made clear. Perhaps some one can quote the
exact string.

Thanks to the hints given me in this thread I will research the
\pdfcrypt command in the archives. I understand that it is to be
obsoleted, but right now it is the only game in town.

I am sorry my questions annoy Robin, but not sorry enough to stop
asking. I need information, hence I ask.

Thanks to those who replied.

John Culleton