[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Tue May 14 20:05:21 CEST 2002

MB> I suppose the slantfont in the map file correspond to the slantfont in the
MB> tfm file generated by fontinst...

MB> Something like :
MB> \transformfont{padro8r}{\slantfont{167}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{padr8a}}}
MB> }

MB> If you only adjust the slant in the map file, the font will not match its
MB> metrics...

well, how much does slanting affect metrics, indeed, that is the
question. The advance width is invariant under this tranformation, the
kerning & ligaturing too. Only the declared italic slant, and italic
corrections may be involved (but I doubt fontinst will compute it
anyway). Side bearings _may_ change, but TeX'TFM ignores that anyway...

--
 Thierry Bouche