[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

Thomas Esser te at informatik.uni-hannover.de
Mon May 6 21:41:37 CEST 2002

> The fact of giving the name in the map file only serves one purpose: if
> you include PDF files with fonts whose name appear in a .map, then
> pdftex will deal more intelligently with them (remove them from the
> included PDF and subset embed them once).

Ok, this is what Reinhard Kotucha told me two days ago, too. I agree
that the names should only be supplied for the standard map entries and
not for anything manipulated by Slant / Extend.

My suggested modification is to change updmap as follows:

Replace the line
  cat $pdftex_modules | grep -v '^%' | grep . | sort | uniq >> pdftex.map
by the following:
  { cat $pdftex_modules | grep -v '^%' | grep . |
      egrep '".*\<(Slant|Extend)Font\>.*"' | sed 's@[ 	][^ 	]*@@'
    cat $pdftex_modules | grep -v '^%' | grep . |
      egrep -v '".*\<(Slant|Extend)Font\>.*"'
  } | sort | uniq >> pdftex.map

This should work with any "not too old" teTeX-beta. To update the map files,
one has to make the modification to the script and then execute it once:
  ./updmap

Thomas