[pdftex] eps and vector fonts

Peter Kreynin bug at mail.ru
Wed May 1 19:40:55 CEST 2002

Sorry to come to this question again, but I have read through all archives and did not find anything related exactly to this...

I know pdflatex does not support inclusion of eps graphics. That is very pity BTW. Is it really so difficult? Anyway, the problem is: I am using PSFrag package to replace some text in eps figures. And in fact this is very useful. So generally it is fine when I create PS, but in fact I need PDF.

The first way is simply to use pdflatex, but as it does not handle eps, set aside PSFrag, then even though I do get perfect vector fonts in the final file it is not good enough. And if I convert EPS to PDF then I won't be able to use PSFrag. Is there any similar package to do the same with PDF?

Another way is creating PS and then converting it to PDF with ps2pdf utility, which works perfectly, with one exception: if there is any cyrillics in the text, then all fonts in PDF become raster. :( With only English inside it is fine. Unfortunately, there is no way not to use cyrillics, so I am between two problems: either terrible fonts or no graphics. Could anyone please suggest any way around it? The time is running out and I am a bit stuck.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Kreynin